Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Turning 40 and graduating with my Bachelors Degree in CIS and a minor in Forensics all in one day


February 27th, I will be turning 40 years old and also walking across the stage at DeVry University in Chicago with my BA in Computer Information Systems with a minor in Forensics. I'm quite proud but I think more relieved than anything....I went to MCC for actual classes for 1 -1/2 yrs. and earned almost 20 credits.  Being a single mother and working 3 jobs at the time...I just couldn't keep all of it up but that was a life goal and I was not going to stop.  I did my research, and decided on DeVry Online classes.  When I went in, only 10 of my credits transferred, honestly...I don't even think it was that many credits.  But DeVry versus MCC in my field was no question and the ability of taking classes online versus leaving my girls was also a no brainer.  I took the leap and from start to finish was only 3 years to get my BA; I skipped right past my Associates.  It was definitely hard but nothing that was insane at all.  I got it done, it takes devotion to go online, but being that I wanted it so bad, I did it and now I'm done!!! WOO HOO.  I am still going back and forth and back and forth about continuing and getting my Masters in CIS management, it will only take me about 7 months for that.  I think I will most likely do it but it is going to cost me more than an arm and leg, but going to school at my age and finishing made me grow so much.  I myself, feel I am a completely different person.  I still have the same qualities and personality most likely but my inner self and outlooks are completely different. I encourage anyone that plays with the idea to at least do your research and know what your options are.  I will be more than happy to help guide, as a matter of fact...I am doing that right now as I am typing (I am an avid multi-tasker, never doing only one thing EVER).  I have a very close family friend that is trying to do  this exact thing and I'm very proud of this person. It is never too late to accomplish what your goals are; it is not only good for you but good for people in your lives that you may not even realize.  My girls were able  to see how important education is and what devotion it takes to succeed.  We went from getting the majority of our food from Food Pantry's and Churches to me raising them all alone in a beautiful home with everyone healthy and happy and with all that we need in a short time.  I am more proud that they learned such good life lessons than anything else.  Right now I know it is hard to even imagine that anything can help for some to get a job at all and I agree, but times will get better and will turn around and there is going to be a lot of people competing more so than before.  Plus, having an education made me feel so much better about myself, I am the 2nd child of 6 and I never got good grades at all and really never cared., All my siblings are extremely bright and it was always hard for me because I wasn't (or so I thought).  Being on the Dean’s List at DeVry kind of proved that wrong!  I was an at home mom, raising my girls , it was not until my divorce that I had such a passion for education and so as I do with almost anything in my life...I didn't talk about it, I just did it. I am graduating before my girls enter college themselves and only by months...but I am and that was another part of my goal.  So, the meaning behind this is that....not just school but any goal you have is never too far away...reach for it as you would reach for anything you cherished that was ahead of you or falling from you.  Anything is attainable if you want it, it may be work...but we have to work for what we want.  So go look at yourself, talk to yourself and reach those goals...one at a time!!! Click here and maybe this is for you, maybe not....http://www.devry.edu/. And for fun here is a funny video for any WGN morning news fans....I can’t start my day without them....http://www.wgntv.com/news/morningnews/wgntv-behindthescenes-larry-robin-m-120110,0,6863032.story

2 comments:

  1. I'm giving you a standing ovation...one cause i'm proud of you and two cause you deserve it! I've known you since I was in 2nd grade, you are family to me. I've seen you conquer obstacles in life that I never wanted to face, but I'm facing now. You give me hope and inspiration! Thanks for all you have done for me, I appreciate it! You are an amazing person, keep on being you! xoxo p.s. i'm celebrating you turning 40 and graduating with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecily girl, I love you and Im proud of you chicky! I would love nothing more than you celebrating with me and then...it is your turn to graduate next!!!

    ReplyDelete